3 Important Steps When Using a Cordless Impact Driver You Need To Know
A cordless impact driver is a flexible and portable device that is used to drill holes and push screws. It comes with a keyless fling, which accepts several circulars as well as hex shank drill bits and screw driving bits. In addition, this device also works with saws, rotating sanders, and wire wheel brushes in many home improvements, DIY home projects.
Like all other cordless impact devices, this device comes with a slide clutch, which allows easy adjustment of the torque used in every task. Moreover, this allows for constant and precise screw driving. This device also delivers three times more torque or turning pressure compared to an average driver.
This tool may have brute power, but this is simple as well as comfortable to use, as its high power torque is transferred right to the screw that you are working on and not on the user’s wrist or forearm. If you use a cordless impact driver properly, you will definitely gain positive results with the project that you are working on.
So, how do you use a cordless impact driver? The first thing that you need to do is to ensure that you are wearing protective gears like hammer safety glasses and large gloves. Once accomplished, you can start fitting the proper socket or adapter on the device and begin working on a screw. Stress must be exerted downwards. Working in a clockwise direction loosens the screw and counterclockwise direction tightens it.
It is always important to remember to wear gloves when working with impact drivers. Thus, you should wear one when using this device. Here is a systematic guide on how to use this device:
1. Before Working With The Cordless Impact Driver
Prepare all the materials needed for the project. You should not only prepare the device but also the different screws and bits that will be used during the course of the task. Moreover, you should check the area where you will be working. You have to make sure that it is well equipped and free from any obstacles that may hinder the successful operation of the task.
The next thing that you should do is to check the battery of your impact driver. You have to make sure that it is fully charged. When placing the battery on the device, you have to make sure that it is installed firmly to prevent it from falling and causing accidents or injury.
After making sure that the battery is secure, you can start installing the bit on the device. First, you have to pull the manual sleeve of the device backward. After, you need to place the bit into the hexagon shaped hole in the anvil of the device. Once placed properly, you can release the manual sleeve making sure it returns to its initial position.
2. When Using The Cordless Impact Driver
During the actual task, you should always check the actual path of the rotation. A switch allows you to change the rotation of the device. You can choose the R-side for a clockwise rotation and the L-side for a counterclockwise rotation.
Whenever the trigger is pulled, the bit will rotate. The velocity of the rotating action of the device is controlled by how the user pulls the trigger. For instance, if you pull the trigger more, the faster the velocity of the rotating action will be.
When loosening or tightening screws during the actual task, you have to make sure that the bit matches the screw that you are working on. You have to make sure that the grooves of the screw fit the bit. Moreover, you have to make sure that you push the driver with ample force to keep the bit fit on the screw.
You have to remember that the correct fastening torque will depend on different factors. You have to take note that it will vary based on the type and size of bolt or screw and the material that needs to be fastened. When working with the cordless impact driver, you have to hold the device firmly and apply forward stress to the device.
3. Important Notes To Remember When Working With A Cordless Impact Driver
Here are some of the important notes that you need to remember when using a cordless impact driver:
- Make sure you use the right bit for the right screw. You should carefully choose the bit that fits the type of screw that you are working on.
- When working with small screws, you have to adjust the strain on the driver switch. This will ensure that the screw will not be damaged while working on it.
- You should also make sure that you are able to contain the tool piercing in the screw.
- There are instances that the crew or the bit will be stripped, damaged or overstressed. To avoid these things from happening, you should perform a test operation prior to working on the actual task to determine the proper fastening period of the screw.
- Check for the battery to make sure that it does not stop working while you are in the middle of the task. If your battery is not charged fully or it fails, the performance of the device will greatly be affected.
- Make sure you use the right size of the driver socket, as this can increase or decrease the fastening torque of the device.
- Despite having the same torque coefficient and bolt course, the fastening torque will be affected by the diameter of the bolt, the course of the bolt and the size of the bolt.
- The way you hold the driver and the position that you assume when working will also affect the torque of the device. It is ideal to make sure that you are comfortable with the way you handle the device.
- If you operate the impact driver at low speed, there is a significant decrease in the fastening torque of the device.
It is important to take note of the guidelines in using a cordless impact driver when working with one as this can affect the results of the task. Always follow the guidelines for best results.
Last Updated on